A kitchen refers to a room or a section of a room that is mainly used for cooking or preparation of food. In western countries, modern kitchen is installed with a sink, stove, hot and cold running water, kitchen cabinets and refrigerator. Several individuals may have a dishwasher, microwave oven and other cooking appliances. Kitchens for commercial purposes such as those in restaurants, hospitals, army barracks and other same establishments are generally bigger and installed with heavy equipment. For instance, a big restaurant may be equipped with a large walk-in refrigerator as well as a huge dishwasher machine. Therefore, different set ups have different kitchen installation processes and equipment. This article will generally present to you how a kitchen should be installed to offer excellent service both to you and your customer.
Understanding the right process of fitting a kitchen is very vital because different phases of installation must be carried out in a definite order. Kitchen fitters also do things differently but the order of activities during installation is almost the same. Therefore it is important to figure out what is involved as well as your expectations.
The Equipment Needed
To ensure excellent fitting of your kitchen, the kitchen fitter must have acquired competent skills in various disciplines including; electrical, carpentry and plumbing work which are basics in kitchen fitting. This makes the work costly as it requires the services of a plumber, a carpenter or even an electrician. However, some costs can be cut by personal fitting some parts which are not much complicated like the electrical and plumbing. The process takes a lot of time and requires an effort by the fitter as so many tools are involved which include the electrician’s screwdrivers, bolster chisel, battery drill or driver plus wood and masonry drill bits, pliers, spirit level, saw, side cutters, tape measure, marker pens, sealant gun and square. Important equipment for safety like the mask, goggles should be included.
Plan the Kitchen Layout
This needs to be carried out correctly to avoid problems which may arise as a result of poor measurements.
Factors to consider when designing kitchen layout
Many people desire improved kitchens with good designs and styles, thus budgets should be adjusted to achieve this need. Therefore, a number of factors should be put into consideration. These factors are essential in planning process to ensure the best kitchen is designed.
- 1. Available space
Considering space is critical so that the planning you take gives room for fitting disposal bins, furniture and makes other kitchen activities efficient. Measurements of all that you want to fix in your kitchen should be noted. These include tables, all seats and everything else fitted in the kitchen.
- 2. Themes
This is important factor to be decided during planning process. It will guide you in selecting the materials to use, and it is dependent on your kitchen style since there are many kitchen styles including ancient Greece and others which you may adopt.
- 3. Budget
In drawing the budget, you must be certain of the amount at hand. Also ensure that you factor in miscellaneous expenses because t you are constrained by budget and that you must stick in it in order to come up with a well fitted kitchen. In most cases, price factor is nuisance to many people but they must face it since it is not avoidable and that their budget requires price factors.
- 4. Colors
The colors you chose for designing your kitchen should be attractive to you and other people. Therefore, right colors should be wisely selected so that your kitchen becomes smart and elegant. Remember that a kitchen is a place that you must visit each day, so do not mess up with color selection.
Therefore, other factors to consider when planning your kitchen layout include the sink units, extraction units, and the position of switches and sockets. However, you have to understand the construction regulations before undertaking any electric layout of your kitchen.
Before the installer arrives
Prior to the arrival of the installer, make sure all your drawers and units are emptied. Ensure also to have an alternative place to cook, prepare and store your food to help you survive without your kitchen. You may consider residing in your friend’s house or in a lodge with your family. When refurbishment is taking place, find ways to manage yourself without oven, hob and sink for some days.
The installation process
- The fitter will begin by switching off all the water supply to empty the pipes and carry out pipeline work. Water supply requires to be switched off in the stop cock for some time and when the pipeline work is finished the water is re-instated to other sections of your home.
- The second stage is when your kitchen is completely stripped out. The doors are usually stripped out first followed by drawers, oven and hob respectively. Cornice, lights and wall units are then stripped out. Finally, act on the tiles, sink plinths and base units. This stage is fairly faster and the kitchen will quickly appear bare.
- If it is necessary to move some cables and plumbing then it is done at this stage. This should be carried out before floor leveling and any skimming of walls.
- The kitchen fitter then does a small building work if needed. This will include moving doorways, constructing stud walls, taking down walls and other similar activities.
- The next phase before any installation commences is to undertake first fix work. It will involve making any changes to the electrics or plumbing where required. This may take like one to three hours.
- The kitchen fitter the marks out new electrical for sockets, switches and fuses. This will facilitate easy and quick fitting.
- Depending on the layout of the kitchen, the fitter extends the plumbing to enable the sink fit the defined layout. The kitchen walls are then chased out while the wiring and the back boxes are put in place.
- The ceilings and the walls are organized and plastered. This should be done before any required cover is put in place. The floor is then tiled.
- At this stage, the kitchen units are available and suitable for fitting. Usually kitchen fitters will commence with the kitchen base units from the corner of the room and put them all over and finally on the walls. This stage is also the right time for the wall tiles to be fitted.
- The next stage involves the installation of new sink and the worktops. Remember worktops are pieced into smaller sizes and put together. The cut outs for the hob and sinks are created and the worktops are adjoined before the last fitting. The sink is finally connected again.
- The pelmets, panels and cornices are then fitted. Thereafter, doors, fronts, drawers and plinths are installed. Remember, wrongly cut and created miter joints can spoil the entire kitchen.
- The last stage of kitchen installation involves installing all the integrated appliances, connecting and finally testing them for the intended purpose. Now the kitchen is in place, you can use it to cook, prepare and store your food.
It is hard to give the exact time for kitchen installation because every kitchen is fitted in its own way and the time needed to complete the fitting varies depending on the materials needed, the size of the room, job complexity and the number of installers. However, an ideal kitchen takes approximately six working days to be completely installed.
Cottage kitchen remodeled ideas are welcoming to you to open your bright side for the new look. For your family and friends are to gather up in warm and beautiful cottage. Cottage Charm Examples that suggest a surface age of the casual look and touchable texture of cottage kitchen with ...
If you feel very tired of standing in a long time, you can use the cushioned kitchen floor mat. In addition to durable and anti-fade, kitchen mat you can use also for decorative impression in your kitchen. Cushion Comfort Kitchen Anti Fatigue Floor Mat Cabernet Wine That meet the convenience ...
Kitchen set with chairs on wheels is an unusual seat models and the most difficult to find lately. However, you do not need to worry, this will be covered following the model kitchen set chairs with rollers, along with the price. So you can purchase it in the market. Caramel ...
You can not go wrong with white in the kitchen, sit down and let the incredible ideas of remodeled kitchen with white cabinets and images that inspire you to take your kitchen from drab to dazzling space. Remodeled Kitchen With White Cabinets Ideas White and Airy This kitchen was refreshing ...